Friday, December 6, 2013

#7 People Like US

This assignment consisted of watching this movie, "People Like Us", and summarizing it. For this post I am going to add more then just a summary of the film, I am going to give you my opinion on some of the parts I found myself agreeing and disagreeing with in the film. Lets get started...

This film has to do with class and how society looks at certain things having to do with class differently based on different things like looks or family. One of the major things that the film keeps going back to and reflecting on is how the way you look and the way you act and carry yourself is a major part in determining if you fit in the high class. Having money is not the only factor in you being high class. Also another thing that kept being mentioned in the film is how the class system is like high school and how people are constantly dreaming, stretching, and striving to be in the upper class and to fit in among them. Another point in the film was when this young man said that he was, "bar diving", and said it was fun to get away and have fun because it seemed like the people in the bar always have fun and enjoy themselves. It amazes me how he said that but he didn't take into consideration the fact that if he would still feel like that if he lived like that all the time. 

Now cones the good part my opinion! I agree with the fact that the way the class system functions is like high school. I agrree with this because I can relate to a certain extent. In high school I would go out and break my curfew because I wanted to seem cool and like I belonged among all my friends. One thing I didn't like about this film is how it portrays the idea of having to buy these ugly tacky things just to make it seem like they have a lot of money. I don't like this because I believe in simplicity. It doesn't have a curtain doesn't have to have sheer jewels and cost $500.00 to be classy and sophisticated. Part of that I think has to do with conspicuous consumption. I can't begin to comprehend it. For instance, when I was growing up I used to buy my jeans for $15-$20.00 with nice designs on the pockets and everyone would compliment me for them and they would be astonished at how much they would cost, and I was content with my jeans and then I would look at the jeans that cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars with all the extra design and prints, and say to myself, why would anyone want to spend so much money for that. Another thing I didn't like was how the two ladies in the car in the Hampton's were being snippy at the fact that the community was starting to become a bit multicultural. Just because people act differently from what you are use to doesn't mean you have to turn your nose up and act like you don't stink.

I enjoyed watching this film, I think it was an eye opener on class. If you haven't watched it yet watch it and maybe you'll get a better understanding of the things I have mentioned in this post. 

Thanks for reading and be safe. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment